Beatbox Kitchen

Victoria, Australia
Raph Burger
Smart Casual
4 minutes
Go Now!
$11
Summary

If you’re familiar with Melbourne’s Inner Northern suburbs you know that if you want a decent burger, you better go visit Beatbox Kitchen. You’ll also know that its not unusual to find yourself hungry, a bit tipsy and at the back of a a long, nightclub-style queue. However, when you reach the front there are no bouncers or guestlists, just Raph and his Ghetto Blaster shaped Burger Van.
We finally managed to catch up with this nomad at his all new “for a limited time only” fixed location, The Rooftop Bar in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD. Owner, creator and chef, Raph calls his burger an “East Coast meets West Coast” experience. His research has taken him to the burger mecca that is the USA, and he’s brought back the best of New York and Los Angeles and then topped it all off with 100% Aussie beef.
All of his beef is ground on-site and is sourced from “strictly grass-fed” Tasmanian cattle. He explains, “grass-fed beef has a higher nutritional value and is higher in Omega 3 and Vitamin E, plus it delivers a more natural and intense beef flavour.” So, with a killer view and beer in hand, we eagerly awaited Raph’s creation. His burger came out on a soft bun (baked fresh everyday in nearby Brunswick), with a 170gm grass-fed beef pattie, cos lettuce, tomato, gouda cheese, onion and Stereo Sauce.

Comments
“This is a true testament to one man’s passion for burgers. What I would call a near faultless creation, this burger offers only the freshest ingredients. A perfect bun that soaks up just the right amount of juice and still gives you the taste that its just been buttered. Absolutely loved the subtle saltyness to the amazingly perfect pattie. All thats left to say is… GOD DAAAMN!”
“The first time in a very long time I have not added or subtracted any ingredients; everything was spot on. Wrapping the burger in foil meant a very neat and clean meal. The time, research, energy and enthusiasm in all aspects of the burger have definitely paid off. My favourite summer drinking spot just got a whole lot better.”
“This burger was made with love. The burger had a clear and concise objective – keep it simple and use great ingredients. The beef was great – juicy, tasty and cooked to perfection. The thinly diced raw red onion meant the onion flavour didn’t overpower each bite. The cheese was great, butter on the bun (always a plus) and the bun was…. perfection. Chips were great. I loved dipping them in the spicy sauce provided. Ohh, I forgot to mention I loved the burger so much I ate two.”
“So its been a week since I ate at Beatbox Kitchen. I think I’ve called the other guys almost everyday telling them that I can’t stop thinking about this burger. The beef pattie was succulent and full of flavour. It wasn’t over seasoned, which allowed the flavour of the pure Tasmanian beef to shine through. The gouda and Stereo Sauce worked great together, adding a wicked creaminess followed by a touch of zest. To put it simply, for me this burger is World Class.”
Beatbox Kitchen

11 Dollars! That is a bargain considering the quality, and cheaper than grill’d…

Anonymous ( January 26, 2011 at 17:40 )

but I bet not as wholesome! Grill’d is divine!!

Anonymous ( February 6, 2011 at 17:29 )

why do the grill’d marketing team have to get on every food blog and try to talk up their lame burgers. Why dont they spend that time making better , and actually wholesome burgers.

the truth ( March 1, 2011 at 12:15 )

The Truth speaks the truth!
Why try and play the wholesome angle? Anonymous / Gr’lld owner/manager.
As if they are healthy anyway with all that “herbed” mayo and cheese, which is just there to cover up for their dry tasteless patties.
Gr’lld try and act like they are the anit Mc Donalds when they are just another chain skimping on quality and charging through the roof.

The Silent Flea ( March 17, 2011 at 18:30 )

On the weekend i was at groovin the moo i was hungover and had lost my mates then i got a Raph and it made it all better.

Anonymous ( May 4, 2011 at 20:08 )

This burger is average. I have had two. Oversalted and yet simultaneously bland. It’s incredibly expensive for what it is and yet sold out of a place with much lower fixed costs than most hospo businesses. The opposite of the food cart spirit in the US. When I was over there, I stuffed myself out of taco and burger trucks, often for less than $5. At kogi I got food that was fine dining level in terms of conception and execution, if not presentation. And at some of the mexican trucks, insane freshness and dynamic flavours. This has none of that. NONE. I don’t own a grill’d, or work for one, or whatever, but I enjoy their burgers more. It’s a fair comparison. Or just go five minutes from most of the places beatbox gets parked: hey look, it’s Danny’s! A solid, traditional burger for less than 8 bucks.

(I am not, in principle, anti-raph. I like raph’s taco truck better than I like beatbox. And I wish we had a proper culture of food trucks – raph’s success just shows how much demand we have, shame the councils won’t get behind it.)

A different anonymous ( August 17, 2011 at 19:13 )

Wow. I knew it was popular but never realised it raised such passions. I only live down the road from the Beatbox’s top of Rathdowne/Park St location but haven’t as yet tried one. Been just about everywhere else, Gr’lld – pretty average, and what’s with the crap they coat the chips in? That place on Chapel in South Yarra…I needed a microscope and not much taste to shout about and then there is Cafe Filos on Camberwell St. A very unpresuming caff I hasten to add. No frills here, or distressed wooden work tops and kitsch accoutrements. Though there is the golden waving cat, the owners are presumably Chinese? Can I just say, their “The Lot” burger is just about the most perfect burger I have ever had. I too have tasted burgers from NY to LA and being from London, quite a few elsewhere as well. It is sublime, so tasteful and something whilst working in the area, I found I would be salavating at the thought of by half ten in the morning on those days I threw caution to the wind, sometimes three in a week, and had ‘The Lot’. Try it, you won’t regret it.
As for Raph’s. I’ve been looking forward to one for ages, I always seem to see it on the way to somewhere else.
I think tonight could be the night.

db ( September 18, 2011 at 17:38 )

So dude? …. did you go? Speak up

-Z

The Burger Adventure ( September 29, 2011 at 22:03 )

When grilled first open their patties were twice the size and the Mighty Melbourne was only $10.50. Over the last few years the grilled burger is getting smaller while the price is going up. I had a beatbox burger on Wednesday night and I thought it was 10 times better than Grilled. The patties are bigger, fresher and less fatty than Grilled. Now how are those Taco’s………….I will find out this weekend.

VIC_Hamburger ( January 27, 2012 at 14:57 )

Had my first Raff last night. Best burger I’ve had since San Francisco Burher Heaven last year which is extraordinary Easily better than Grilld and miles better than Huxtaburger which has good burgers but service is a shocker – too up it’s self, chaotic, and hipster skank attitude enough to sour what could have a good experience.

Jimbo ( June 19, 2013 at 12:46 )

Sorry guys but have to disagree. Specifically aftef the glowing reviews here my partner and i sought this place out today. Dunno if things have gone downhill but we weren’t impressed by the Beatbox burger we just had at Village Melboure (St. Kilda Road). After a 30+ min wait the burgers arrived but were a little disappointing. The buns were soft in the middle but slightly crispy (stale?) at the edges. The burger was rather dry and we resorted to
adding the dipping sauce to it to try and help. The pattie itself was quite good but strangely, a bit salty. Combined with the lack of any discernible sauce or may on the burger and the slightly hard bun, overall it made for a disappointing experience.

My partner and I are on our own Melbourne burger odyssey and our recommendations so far are Mr Burger and Merrywell, both if which were in a different league from Beatbox.

Dodgy ( August 11, 2013 at 14:23 )

The Shroom burger was amazing! Especially the sauce.

Jenny ( November 20, 2013 at 22:33 )

Like Us!
Stay Connected
Legend
From the menu, which one we ordered.
How sloppy and juicy the burger is.
What's the venue like?
For how long were we drowsy after the burger.
Would We Recommend: