Huxtaburger

Huxtaburger – 106 Smith St, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia
Huxtaburger
Casual
6 minutes
Definitely
$8
Summary

Buzz word of the month, hipster hangout, bloggers delight… whatever you want to make of it, Huxtaburger is Melbourne’s newest burger joint. The guys behind this welcome addition to the Melbourne Burger Family are responsible for another well-known, and Smith St fav, Huxtable. Where the latter mainly serves a variety of shared dishes, Huxtaburger is all about you. Well, you and and your burger. Chef and owner Daniel Wilson has based the most-part of the menu on the classic TV series “The Cosby Show”, where the different burgers represent the different characters i.e “The Bill” gets a little kooky and adventurous by adding pineapple and beetroot, whereas “The Rudy” is smaller and aimed at kids. If you were born in the 90’s, chances are these names will mean nothing to you so just smile politely and start Google-ing. The setup also has quite the classic inspiration behind it; with black, white and stainless steel as the primary colours, Huxtaburger tries to create a classic USA diner experience right in the heart of Collingwood. Wading through a sea of people, we were lucky enough to score some seats by the counter, and so we each ordered their signature Huxtaburger that comes on a glazed brioche bun with a Moondarra Wagyu beef pattie, mustard, mayo, ketchup, tomato, cheese, lettuce and pickles. Oh, and we couldn’t go past a serve of crinkle cut chips for an extra $2.50.

Comments
“Huxtaburger puts together a simple yet flavourful burger that seems to be attracting quite the crowd. Their signature Huxtaburger has one of the best buns going around, with some of the fluffiest and sweetest textures I’ve tasted. The beef pattie was perfectly cooked, but lacked a bit of seasoning and the good amount of fat that you hope will ooze out. I always love a burger that has pickles and mustard, but sometimes when their both in a burger together, there can be a thing as too much tangy sweetness. All-in-all though, it’s a pretty decent, well-balanced burger.”
“Luckily just after ordering we managed to get a seat at the bench which made the wait a little more bearable. Love the setup and the size of the menu; a very limited selection that means they have all of their time and energy to focus on just burgers. The actual Huxtaburger is one of the most visibly appealing burgers out there at the moment and that bun must the be lightest, fluffiest and sweetest bun I’ve ever had. I was even surprised as to how well it held all the ingredients together and didn’t dissolve. The beef was cooked well but there didn’t seem to be much fat and wasnt juicy at all. The cheese was melted perfectly over the top of the pattie, and parts of the slice oozed down and touched the hot plate which, is one of the best tastes on earth. The mustard was a little too strong for me – I think I’d rather have had more of the flavour of the pickle come through instead. Next time I’d love to try the double burger with the bacon to experience a bolder, beefier flavour to balance out the strength of the mustard and pickle.”
“We’re always getting recommendations for burger joints people would like us to visit. Most of them have eaten the burger and can give us the intricate details. But when you have a long-time vegetarian recommending a place that only makes beef burgers (not having tried the burger, but nevertheless tempted), you know this place is doing something right. Readers be warned this place is busy and you might have to wait a while, but credit to the staff for working their butts off. When it comes out the burger looks delicious. The croissant-like bun is by far the star of the show, slightly greasy on the outside and soft to hold, this bun is sweet as hell and could just be served on it’s own for breakfast. The pattie is ok; not a lot of seasoning and thin in size, but it does the job. The tang from the mustard and pickles can take over the burger, but I really don’t mind it – any burger with mustard earns my respect. Overall it’s not a fatty burger and is definitely a burger I can eat twice a week for lunch. One burger is sufficient, but I would recommend going for a double pattie. Chips were ok.”
“I could go on about the amazing bun, the delicious cheese, the not so juicy beef pattie or even the hipsteriffic clientelle. But I won’t. All I’ll say is, eating this burger is a bit like finally going out with the hottest girl in school, only to find out she’s a devout Christian and all you’ll get at the end of the date is a handshake and God’s blessing. When I go back, I’ll be sealing the deal by ordering an extra pattie, some bacon and extra cheese. Nice burger: if you’re into that sort of thing.”
Huxtaburger on Urbanspoon

Unsure about the greasy feel of the bun. Taking brioche too far? And weren’t you supposed to bring one back across the river for me?

BurgerMary ( February 9, 2012 at 15:14 )

I was really excited about trying huxtaburger but when i got my burger it was completely over seasoned and i found so many fatty bits in the patty 🙁
Maybe i went on a bad day??

Bec ( February 9, 2012 at 15:43 )

I had the Theo and savoured all its meaty goodness

LJ ( February 9, 2012 at 15:47 )

This place is way overrated.

Jeremy ( February 9, 2012 at 17:58 )

Usually a nice joint, sometimes the patty is a bit over-seasoned though?

Lamb ( February 11, 2012 at 00:28 )

It’s overrated by twats like you

Anonymous ( March 5, 2012 at 13:50 )

went for the first time, and although the flavour was good, found pieces of cartilage in the meat. twice. thought id give it another try and went again, a week or two later, and the same thing happened. this had NEVER happened to me before. dont think Ill go back.

i ( March 12, 2012 at 10:47 )

I think you guys are spot on with your review…except I find the brioche too buttery and overpowering, everything seems to be overpowering the flavour of the beef, which i guess there isn’t that much to hide given the low fat content of the patty. All i taste is mustard and ketchup. Another burger for people who don’t know what a burger should taste like. I’ve recently been getting the cartledge in mine as well.

Geoff ( March 13, 2012 at 20:50 )

I went a few weeks ago with a couple of friends after reading several reviews about the place, including this one. The three of us all had the signature burger and all agreed that it was very good. Not neccassarily mind-blowing, but better than average. I too agree that the bun is the standout of the meal.
I was in the area today so decided to try the double however i must say i didn’t enjoy it so much. The pattie was a little too pink for my liking and i also found a few bits of cartilage. I generally don’t have bacon on my burgers and didn’t realise until after i had ordered that it had it. The double just seems to be too much meat (for me), especially with the bacon. I didn’t really notice the other ingredients, and the bun seemed to have trouble holding it together and got lost in all that meat. I really missed the flavour of it.
Good burgers, but i’ll stick to the single if i ever have one again.

swizzle ( April 4, 2012 at 18:04 )

Just had the huxtaburger today and I have to say, I wasn’t thrilled but I did enjoy it. Much better than your “fish n chip shop burger” but the pattie wasn’t anything different or special. The pickle was great but the mustard was offensive! At first I thought the three condiments was overkill but actually worked quite well texture-wise. I would have opted for a more subtle mustard though. The bun was great. Nothing better than brioche! I really liked the chips and was pleased to have fed myself and boyfriend for $22!!

Carla ( April 5, 2012 at 17:53 )

Went to Huxtaburger a couple of months back. They’re doing good things I think. Went to Jus Burgers in South Yarra a week or so ago. Really impressed with JB’s. Burgers are top notch.

Holden ( June 28, 2012 at 20:09 )

Average. Almost as sickly sweet as a maccas burger. Too many rude hipsters. Fitzroy is now the devils butthole.

Not Great ( July 28, 2012 at 19:24 )

So i was really excited to try this burger but to my disappointment, i turned up on a saturday night, the place was packed, the dude behind the counter said it would be about a 50min wait for one huxtenburger and small chips! So i bailed and came back the next day, thinking the wait time would be shorter! I was wrong, the girl behind counter said it would be a 20min wait or hopefully shorter, that 20mins turned into 30 and then 40 and after 45mins i was given my long waited huxtenburger! It was smaller than i expected and to be honest really just tasted average the chips were delicious but again nothing spectacular, Jeremy and Annoymous really say the best, the place is overrated. I also found chewy parts in my burger patty which i didn’t appreciate.
I have only been once tho, so maybe it was a bad experience but i really doubt it!
🙁

Poz ( August 5, 2012 at 23:56 )

Like many have said before me… This place is quite the disappointment. The burger wasn’t the best – meat patty was undercooked (which is by far the most important ingredient) and the burger itself was quite small. The handling of food in this place is actually disgusting. They don’t believe in wearing gloves or using tongs, they’d much rather handle the ingredients as well as wipe down the bench, take your money using their dirty hands. This was a massive put off. Aside from the hygiene factor, the wait was overly long. With only about 10 people in the place, we still waited close to an hour.

Overall a huge, huge disappointment. I will definitely not be returning to Huxtaburger!!

Tanja ( March 4, 2013 at 06:51 )

I went a yesterday, recommended by a friend, and what Tanja wrote has played on my mind ever since, what a horrid place hygiene wise, where is the Health commission, YUK x 100!, no gloves touching and handling the food, wearing gloves is essential for look and health, I found that element gross and really put me off, I don’t want to eat there any, the pattie was chewy and cheap tasting and the burger was greasy and awful, if you like your food made unclean and crappy. please go, but go to Mcdonalds at least they are clean.

Nate ( July 4, 2013 at 20:38 )

SPOT ON NATE and TANJA, I went and Left as soon as I saw this indie chick playing with the pickles with BARE HANDS, first thought GROSS and last thought, I am never coming back here, Health commission where are you.

Derown ( July 5, 2013 at 08:54 )

Overpriced, over-hyped! McDonalds for hipsters – don’t you people have taste buds? The pattie is full of fat & gristle and has no seasoning – it’s frozen too. Go to McDonalds and save yourself some time and money and you’ll also get a better burger. For a real burger try Grill’d.

Hanna ( August 6, 2013 at 12:23 )

Late commenting on this one.
Finally gave this joint a shot. Had the ‘Denise”, and it did not disappoint. Really like the added kick from the Jalapeños. Would like to try the Huxtaburger or the Theo.

James ( July 5, 2014 at 15:47 )

not good – the bun was so soggy I was wiping it up off the plat with no help from any cutlery ..tasty enough but if you like jalapenos thats all you tasted pretty much

stella quinert ( October 1, 2015 at 17:42 )

Like Us!
Stay Connected
Legend
From the menu, which one we ordered.
How sloppy and juicy the burger is.
What's the venue like?
For how long were we drowsy after the burger.
Would We Recommend: