Igloo Road House (Buxton Burger)

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Igloo Road House – 2220 Maroondah Hwy, Buxton, Victoria, Australia
Buxton Burger
Casual
33 minutes
If you’re in the area
$13.80
Summary

About an hour and half north east of Melbourne sits a humble little petrol station where you might pop in for a cheeky snack, a magazine and some Fan Tails for the road. That is, if you’ve never heard of the legend that is the Buxton Burger. The interesting thing is, its home, the Igloo Road House, isn’t really on the way to anything; unless your a sucker for a trout farm. Sure, during the winter there is a tiny bit of skiing that goes on down the road at Lake Mountain, but for a burger to get such critical acclaim from both the general public and Masterchef’s very own big man, Matt Preston, they’ve got to be doing something right. First established in 1946, the Igloo Roadhouse has become a bit of a hang out for car/bike enthusiasts who tackle the infamous stretch of road known as the Black Spur. The speed demons have it all worked out: wind your way to Buxton, smash one of their enormous burgers, then wind your way all the way home letting g-forces aid the digestion. “Tell us more about these goliath burgers”, you say? Well, Igloo Road House does a variety; starting with your typical Burger with The Lot (lettuce, tomato, beetroot, cheese, bacon, onion, egg, ketchup) then, the all famous 13cm tall Buxton Burger (Double The Lot + Pineapple) and then, the 20cm tall Cathedral Burger (Triple The Lot + Pineapple). The crazy part about these burgers is the records that come with them. Last year there were 39,321 people who ate a “normal” burger there. Then there were 4,672 machines who consumed the Buxton Burger, and to finish it off, 527 imbeciles/legends who smashed the Cathedral. The best part is there’s a guy out there who’s demolished a Buxton Burger in about 1 minute 30 seconds – definitely a plaque thats hanging in his den. With an enthralling afternoon of trout fishing ahead of us, we knew we needed to be somewhat limber and not too sleepy. So, we played it safe, ordered 4 of their signature Buxton Burgers and sat in the sun waiting for our demise.

Comments
“I think you first have to ask yourself is it worth the drive! The answer is hell YES. Is it because the burger is that great? I would have to say no. Not that the burger is bad, I just think for me the whole experience of it was enjoying a great drive and amazing scenery, finished up by an iconic burger. Big in size and taste, this doesn’t disappoint if your after a classic takeaway shop burger. A well cooked pattie that was juicy and seasoned just enough. I personally would have liked the egg yolk to be a little runnier for a bit more creaminess. When it first came out I thought the bun was grossly over sized for the burger, but once I dove in I saw the reason behind it. It all really came together well for such a massive burger, which is a good achievement where many fail.”
“So it wasn’t the biggest burger we have eaten, but it was clearly the largest bun we have ever witnessed. I ripped off half the bun before starting, as I didn’t want my first 12 bites to be stomach-filling bread getting in the way of the beef. The beef was ground up and packed tight. It didn’t have much flavour and was of a grey colour, but being completely covered in cheese, egg and bacon, it made up for the lack of flavour. If this was a smaller standard size it would still be a pretty good fish’n’chip style burger. It also presents great value for money considering a number of burgers in the city cost more and, are half the size and of similar flavour.”
“Retrospect is a beautiful thing. It generally gives us a chance to analyse something that occurred in the day, whether we were the cause of it or not and form an opinion on it. When the chance came along to drive 1.5 hours and try the infamous Buxton Burger we pounced. When we finally arrived at the Igloo Roadhouse in Buxton (famous for the Buxton and Cathedral Burger) it felt like a big tick would finally go on my list of burger joints, and this had been haunting me for over 2 years. It almost felt like a right of burger passage to me. Waiting 30 minutes for the Buxton Burger really didn’t bother me as I was fancying the chances of my appetite increasing while we wait. And then, finally the great towering burger arrived. If you don’t know what to expect when you order the Buxton, it’s basically the Lot, just doubled for our greedy pleasure. This Burger was hard to handle, but this beast can be tamed. The pattie was tasty and juicy, the sliced beetroot had it’s place and was ok, the cheese was good, eggs were perfectly cooked with a little bit of run and the Pineapple lasted 3 bites and then had to be taken out. So going back to what I was saying about retrospect. Was it worth the 1.5hr drive, 1 toilet pit stop, 1 petrol refuelling, 1 nature viewing stop and $13.80? Well, it was a burger I really wanted to conquer, and I did. Would I recommend it? Probably not – only unless your a burger fanatic in love with the utterly ridiculous. This burger, sorry to say, felt like any other burger I would get from a burger shop. Chips were good, standard chips, but when combined with chicken salt they become a must.”
“Seriously folks, this is big! That is a full-size dinner plate in the picture and its sitting on it like Hulk Hogan on a tricycle. My first bite was nothing but bread; I ate it, but knew that some different tactics were going to have to be employed in order to smash the whole thing. I wrapped my hands underneath the behemoth – as if I were holding a rocket launcher – and went to town. I left the pineapple in for probably 2 or 3 bites but then realised, why punish myself with such an abominable ingredient, so I tossed it. There was plenty of bacon in this thing, but it was fatty as hell and made for some picking and prodding. The beef patties were sausage-like, fatty and were packed tight. They weren’t bad but nothing great. This is most definitely a once in a life time kind of burger; meaning you probably only ever need to eat one in your life. But saying that, the drive up itself is an incredible experience, so why not pop in for a snack.”

Buxton is a bloke Mecca. Death to you foodie hipsters who’d rather loop at Dunlop runners and lensless glasses frames on Chapel St all day than head down the spur for a Buxton Burger. The contempt in which you say ‘only if you’re in the area’ deserves nothing less.

Matt Hayward ( May 16, 2012 at 09:21 )

my mum works there and she says that they are hard to make

mel ( September 16, 2012 at 13:59 )

Hard to make? Its a friggin burger!!!

Jacko ( October 31, 2012 at 14:32 )

Had my first yesterday and it was a freakin Rippa!

Mr Noodle ( January 20, 2013 at 20:17 )

Def not a place to stop now!!!! New owners and a massive wait time on everything! We had an 1 hour 45 min wait for one burger…. Your a takeaway shop, hence the word takeaway!! I have been going there for the last 15 years at least once a month and i was all willing to give the new owners a go! But nothing is the same and i wont be back. Not even a friendly smile at the counter.. Time to try something new… Would recommend the Black Spur Roadhouse at the top of the spur. They do great food and very quick. Very friendly staff and have everything you need. Will do phone orders too and have your food ready when you arrive. Their burgers are homemade too. Also try the homemade beef jerky, its amazing!!!!!

Chantelle ( February 5, 2013 at 13:35 )

Omg these burgers are Awesome, they taste wonderful, would definitely recommend coming here.:)

Mark ( February 10, 2013 at 20:05 )

this place is one of a kind, the burgers are great and the staff are very friendly, i would recommend this place to people who are stopping on their way to lake eildon, to have something to eat and enjoy their stay while in buxton.

sally ( February 10, 2013 at 20:11 )

HAD THE BURGER (CATHEDERAL)
DEMOLISHED THE BURGER PLUS A BOWL OF CHIPS AND TWO DIMMYS
LOVED THE BURGER
WANT SOME MORE
THEY SHOULD HAVE A BURGER EATING CHALLENGE COMP

GABSTA ( May 1, 2013 at 13:21 )

+1 to Chantelle! Not worth to stop by for the burger. Slow service, dirty dining area and the restaurant stink. And the burger, let’s put it this way, it’s below avenge… Will never waste my time stopping by anymore.

Burger lover ( June 12, 2013 at 11:38 )

love the atmosphere, gosh the burger range is fantastic, great family service, clean and tidy and the paramas on Wednesday night are the best.

kat ( June 24, 2013 at 20:14 )

Had a buxton burger today with my mate, cost me around $13, it was massive…definitely worth of trying it and awesome view around that area.

Luke ( September 26, 2013 at 22:00 )

New owner destroyed the igloo.

Anonymous ( October 11, 2013 at 09:27 )

The burger if great , and wouldn’t mind coming back again 🙂

Hey don't judge ( November 29, 2013 at 12:51 )

Awsome Buxton Buger, had one with my wife while I was on holidays in Australia about 2 weeks ago. Showed it my friends here in Irland and all they said is woow.

Mani ( January 11, 2014 at 16:19 )

The Igloo Roadhouse, has changed in a dramatically wrong way! The town was full of tourists stopping by to grab a quick snack for the rest of the trip or dine in and indulge a burger. Now stopping for a quick snack has turned into a long stop and puts people off, the lighting and service has been spoken dreadfully about and I couldn’t agree any more! It use to amaze me to see the car park full if boats and caravans and also just ordinary cars but these days your lucky to spot any.
Something needs to change, this is a bad name for the town and upsetting the tourism is not right!
I will not be dining in or taking away from this place ever again!

One bad move turns into chaos!!!!!

one angry person

Jake ( January 14, 2014 at 14:44 )

Put the WET phone to a Zip-Lock bag and ship it to a cell phone water damage
repair specialist immediately. So many in fact that it’s one of
the biggest cause for claims that i – Phone and mobile phone insurance companies face.
All the furniture, clothes, personal items, might be damaged or lost.

Also visit my blog; water damage restoration atlanta ga

Jannie ( January 31, 2014 at 07:22 )

There is a sound that most humans will experience many times in life, that, despite being perfectly ordinary and extremely frequent, never fails to awaken a soul-crushing sadness deep within
our minds. This is the precise feeling that stirred me each morning,
as my alarm clock stirred me from sleep. I awoke as if my alarm clock
had unexpectedly poked me with a cattle prod. My eyes
shot open, while my body catapulted itself out of bed.
I stood for a moment, surveying my immaculately
clean, and meticulously modern bedroom, and allowed my mind a chance to catch up with my movements.
My girlfriend managed to stay sound asleep through this fiasco, and looked peaceful
as ever. I glanced at the clock, and like many other mornings before
this one, realized my scramble to wake up and get going was fruitless.
I was up early, and there was no need to rush.
The real urgency was coming from my own personal rush to break away
from my horribly mundane existence.
My name is Justin Rylands, and my life is not bad by any means.

I am 27 years old with a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Princeton.
My father, Drew Rylands, was responsible for starting one of the most successful dental technology distribution
warehouses in the United States, and this provided me with a guaranteed, top dollar sales position since the day
I exited my mother’s womb. I have a sought-after career, a beautiful girlfriend, an apartment that
looks like a Home Goods catalog came to life, and a picture perfect family.

I was not rebellious growing up, and I equate this to my wealthy
upbringing, and well-structured, loving parents.

I was always handsome, and intelligent. I was dedicated to school,
and sports, and rarely ever distracted by girls.
I was disinterested in parties, and the counterproductive activities my peers got off on.
I was a born success story. I was everything any parent could ask for, and they were well aware
of this. I was nothing at all like my insurgent older brother who’d flown the coop
when I was 13. My parents had convinced me that, “Andy went away for college, because that’s what young men do
when they turn 18.” But I knew this was a lie, even as a child.
My brother was an absolute shit head, and I was a firsthand witness to his teen years full
of underage drinking and cutting class. I can recall numerous late nights that ended in my mother sobbing on the couch while my father was on the phone explaining to the
cops what crime his hooligan son got himself caught up
in now. It was not until I was 17, and overheard a
phone call between my brother and father, that I finally discovered Andy had run off with a group
of glass blowing hippies who crafted marijuana pipes and travelled the country with the small amount of money they made selling these “art pieces”.
I was never entirely able to grasp why this lifestyle brought my brother so much
joy, but after 4 years of this perpetuating 9 to 5 grind, I started to wonder
if Andy had the right idea after all.
“Morning Boss,” I said, half-joking to my father upon stepping into his office.

“Ah, my son! Bright and early as always. Just like your
father.” He clapped his hand on my back and gave me that classic, fatherly grin.
“I’ve got a project for you.” I cringed. I figured this meant I’d be planning another painfully boring charity event for inner-city children with no dental insurance.

To read more, register on my site to receive the free kindle or whatever other format book!

Check out my blog post: free kdp

Victoria ( January 31, 2014 at 10:02 )

Feel back again to the initial time you ever read of sims 3 cheats.

There are a lot of elements which affected the advancement of sims 3 cheats.

Cited by several as the single most important influence on publish
present day micro eco compartmentalism, sims 3 cheats is showcasing far more and far
more in the beliefs of the young and upwardly mobile.

Typically it is observed as the two a help and a hinderence to the higher echelons of progressive support sector organisations, who are likely to kind a key stronghold in the inescapable battle for hearts and minds.
Even though I would relatively be in mattress I will now analyze the major triggers
of sims 3 cheats.
As Mirrored in classical mythology culture is complex.
When blues legend ‘Bare Foot D’ remarked ‘awooooh eeee only my dawg
understands me’ he borrowed significantly from sims 3 cheats.
More a melody to societies dysfunctions than a parody of the self,
sims 3 cheats irons out misconceptions from our consciousness.

Some analysts have been tempted to disregard sims 3 cheats.

I have not. If modern society has a favourite child, it is sims 3 cheats.

Modern politics owes much to the animal kingdom. Evaluating the ideals of the youthful with the actuality
felt by their elders is like contrasting sims
3 cheats and ones very own graphic of by themselves.

It is constantly enlightening to contemplate the terms of jazz singer
Achilles Lionel Forbes Dickinson ‘I do not feel in
ghosts, but I do believe in democracy.’ I couldn’t have set it much better
my self. When it comes to sims 3 cheats this is obviously true.
To paraphrase, the estimate is declaring ‘sims 3 cheats wins votes.’ Easy as that.

I hope, for our sake that sims 3 cheats will endure.

Also visit my site how to hack sims 3

Raymundo ( February 1, 2014 at 10:23 )

Went there in 2013 after new ownership. Never again. Food was barely passable after a very long wait. I ordered pepper sauce on my schnitzel but it came dry and when questioned they didn’t know what pepper sauce was despite it being on their menu. They offered me a pepper shaker! In the end they rummaged up some instant gravy.

The worst part was I convinced all my mates go there based on my experience of the awesome burgers the year before.

Jimmy ( March 29, 2014 at 22:52 )

Have been camping in the area since I was 16yo. Am now 56. Have had many BBs over the years. My recollections have been that they never disappointed, always filled me, left pleasant savoury flavours on the pallette for sometime after and … depending on what I was doing at the time contributed to a bit of drowsiness.
Sometimes eaten indoors more often eaten outside in cool or warm weather at a table to one side (not sure of it still there). There is plenty to enjoy about the BB and its home. Long may it continue to please locals and travellers alike.

strickland ( December 14, 2015 at 13:35 )

Like Us!
Stay Connected
Legend
From the menu, which one we ordered.
How sloppy and juicy the burger is.
What's the venue like?
For how long were we drowsy after the burger.
Would We Recommend: