Brother Burger and The Marvellous Brew

Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
The Lot
Smart Casual
9 minutes
Don’t expect much
$17
Summary

A diner like feel blended with the low lit cool-school-NYC restaurant/bar makes the Brother Burger and The Marvellous Brew one of the smartest new joints going around. Not even a month old and already getting a reputation around Melbourne, we had to hit it and see what it was all about. Greeting you upon entry is what feels like a never ending bar/communal table that invites you to sit and partake in a meal with the locals. Mostly, it’s a cool place to sit back, have a bite and a drink, and who knows you might even catch the gaze of the the chef and sweet-talk the man helping you create your own monster burger (we do not actually recommended this as most chefs will stab you for bastardising their pride and joys). So, with a good combination of burgers and other delectable bar foods you will definitely find something to satisfy that salt-tooth of yours. After some deliberation we went for The Lot that came on a sesame seed bun with a beef pattie, bacon, cheese, pineapple, lettuce, pickles, onion, mayo and “sauce”.

Comments
“The first emotion I felt was confusion, as when we arrived the front of the place was actually closed. Then I felt joy and recalled fond memories as I saw a neon sign that looked very similar to a very famous burger sign in New York City. Finally I felt visually impaired, as it was so dark in there I couldnt see shit. I’ve tried very hard to try and like pineapple in a burger as it pops up on a lot of menus around Australia. But still no luck, as I just dont like it. Its just too sweet and too overpowering flavour wise. After a few bites i tossed it and focused on the proper ingredients. The bun was super soft and tasted great however, did nothing to keep everything together and made a huge mess. The beef was a good thickness and was cooked well. There was perfectly melted cheese and the crispy bacon tasted great but only after the pineapple was removed.”
“For me the place didn’t really scream “we do burgers” (apart from the neon sign). It was more like a “bring your girlfriend and spend some cash” kind of place. Sure, there was still the diner feel to it, but it really did look quite sophisticated. I was never convinced we were going to get burgers from this kitchen and expected to be served a duck l’orange worth $45. Though when you open the menu you instantly notice that its all about burgers and a good blend of Australian bar food. The Lot does come with pineapple, which I’m not a huge fan of, but it is needed as I found the burger did lack some flavour, which pineapple help compensate for. I found the pattie a bit bland and the bun and fries were OK. The small plates the burgers are served on really annoyed me. Personal peev I know, but the plates are too small and you need a little bit more dish diameter to cover off spillage from the burger. On a side note I did find the Ginger Ale a bit weak and watered down, but hey it happens.”
“It’s not often you eat a burger and the pineapple is the highlight. But that’s only because the rest of this burger was kind of boring; disappointing when you’re forking out $17. I’ll give the meat credit for being supremely beefy but it needed to be salted and spiced a bit more. I enjoyed the pickle which was was nicely spiced and I wanted a whole lote more from the egg – more creaminess and more ooze. This thing didn’t commit a lot of serious crimes against the burger community, but most of the ingredients just didn’t turn up to the party like the pineapple did. Saying all that I’d still probably give that spicy burger on their menu a go.”
Brother Burger and The Marvellous Brew on Urbanspoon

How can you talk smack about these guys???? We went there on the weekend and it was the best burger my belly has ever been blessed with. Shits all over huxtaburger. Granted, I did get the spicy guy not ‘the lot’. But still, give them a second chance.

Tahnee ( September 13, 2012 at 12:05 )

I agree, terrible burger place. Think they’re just trying to cash in on the trend rather than offer anything of substance. Maybe spend less time thinking about the name next time (which comes off a little pretentious anyway) and more about the food you’re sending out.

Rob ( September 13, 2012 at 12:12 )

The look and feel of the burgers, and even the metal plates, all come across as being a Hux clone, and for the most part, it kinda is… except more expensive.

That being said, I had the spicy burger and it was pretty good. Not sure if it’s $14 good since it doesn’t come with chips or sides, but hey, at least you could find seating and you didn’t have to wait 30 minutes for your order (ala Hux).

We also got onion rings which, though modestly priced, came as a generous portion clearly meant to be shared among 4 people.

Don’t get any of their ‘normal’ burgers as they just aren’t worth it.

Instead, try the mushroom burger, spicy burger, blue cheese, etc.

N. Farben ( September 13, 2012 at 15:27 )

This is the second time this blog has been out of step with my experience. The wolfpack and I ventured down to Brother burger expecting the worst after reading this post (we had organised the event prior to the publication). However after some serious burger consumption the verdict was unanimous – equal 2nd best burger our group had eaten (1st being Nshry, equal 2nd the Merrywell.). Also, onions rings rocked the casbah.

On the 1st incongruity: B.East (a zombie hipster hell hole recommended by you peeps) has nothing on this place. at B.Eeat we encountered stale buns, bad fries, etc.

All I can suggest is that you go back and have another burger – perhaps prep consistency is an issue?

Toby ( September 14, 2012 at 08:54 )

It’s pretty frustrating that so many burger places are opening up in Melbourne, and really, none of them are getting it right. Its not like its that difficult to do a bit of research, I mean, A Hamburger Today is on the top of your links list.
They have so much information on different styles and techniques, you’d think someone would make the extra effort. Instead we just keep getting the same shit thing one after another. I mean, Huxtaburger? really? It’s nowhere near as good as shake shake. I haven’t even bothered going to this place I can already tell its going to be shit. I mean, sure go to all the effort of ripping off burger joint in New York with your neon sign and then make shit burgers.

Anonymous ( September 24, 2012 at 22:16 )

wholeheartedly agree, burgers not worth a pinch of shit! Terrible experience

mangiabeve.wordpress.com ( October 2, 2012 at 10:17 )

You must have had a seriously bad visit!
My family and I went here and we had an incredible dinner. Some of the best burgers we’d had in ages. And we had such fantastic and attentive service.
Please go back and give them another try!

Emm ( October 5, 2012 at 11:42 )

Yeah I usually agree with your blog guys and love your work! But couldn’t disagree more this time.. I had the spicy one with bacon and jalepenos (not a fan of pineapple in burgers either) and it’s a Top 10 contender for sure.

Shane ( October 12, 2012 at 08:32 )

Totally agree with you. Such a rip off for not a great burger. Dry patty, bland everything else. I’ve been thinking about returning just to double check (especially as it’s a 20 metre walk from my place) but ultimately there are much better burgers within a 5km radius.

Kirsty ( October 17, 2012 at 15:38 )

I have now been 3 seperate times and I can honestly say the burger has improved outta sight in thsi time.

The first visit we were met with a super sweet bun that melted as we ate – very sloppy and just not a great burger. The onion rings, however, were divine.

The second visit I got one to take away and asked if they had normal buns rather than the brioche bun. They said they only have one style of bun and that they make it on site. It is not a brioche, but a slightly sweet bun they told me. When i got home, the bun was noticeably less sweet than the first visit. The burger was very good. Again, onion rings were super.

The thirs visit was last Saturday night. I honestly think they’ve been listenign to the comments about the sweet bun as there did not seem to be any sweetness to the bun this time around and a glorious burger experience was had. Onion rings, again, were unbeatable.

Andrew ( November 5, 2012 at 11:14 )

The place just looks so tryhard, I have never been. I heard its too expensive and now that i see its not even that good, fuck it. Huxtaburger should move next door and bring some realness to the scene.

Meathead ( April 2, 2013 at 22:29 )

really… after spending 2 years in the US, returning to Melb in 2011, I have finally found this one place is the only place so far that even comes close to the flavour one should expect in a burger.. MerryWell .. all the ingredients but with a patty completely lacking taste

Huxtaburger – I so wanted to like it – have been twice, but just a burger full of salt, with a patty with extremely strange texture… overhyped under-delivered

Z ( April 26, 2013 at 20:15 )