Fat Bob’s Bar & Grill

Fat Bob’s Bar & Grill – 80 Cochranes Rd, Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia
Jackie O
Casual
12 minutes
Go Now!
$15
Summary

After being inspired by a recent trip to the U.S where Fat Bob found himself surrounded by many of the loves of his life – more specifically burgers, beer and vintage signs – Fat Bob returned to Melbourne and set about creating his own man cave. Along with the help of his friend Michael, Fat Bob’s Bar & Grill was born. Located down a lane-way, squeezed between 2 warehouses in Moorabbin’s industrial area, you are instantly teleported to another era and continent, with a seriously impressive collection of vintage signs of all shapes and sizes gracing the walls. You’d be convinced you’re in the States hanging at a local Hot Rod restoration garage that conveniently sells burgers and over 20 different beers. We grabbed a booth and eagerly awaited the Jackie O that came with a 180g of grass fed beef pattie cooked to medium, tomato, Spanish onion, Fontina cheese, cos lettuce, mustard, tomato sauce and Fat Bob’s special sauce.

Comments
“Loved the presentation in the al-foil wrapping that serves so many purposes: retaining heat, trapping in ingredients and juices and keeping my hands clean. The first thing that really stood out for me was the perfectly melted cheese slowly cascading over the beef pattie… and then I took my first bite. The creaminess of the cheese interacting with one of the most perfectly seasoned beef patties I’ve had in a while is about as good as it gets. The next standout in this burger, which only became apparent towards the end, was the sweet bun that remained completely intact while up against some serious juiciness. Im really glad someone has taken on the daunting challenge of bringing great food and service to the industrial, suburban parts of Melbourne that are so often neglected, and judging by how busy it was it’s been well received.”
“Initially when walking into Fat Bob’s I thought this place might be trying too hard to be an American diner with all the American paraphernalia and neon lights – this could’ve been a case of “all swing, no ding”. I wasn’t a big fan of lining-up to order– for me there is something about being served that makes me feel I’m being properly catered to and if you are going to have an American diner I’d assume you would go in that direction. When you finally place your order at the counter and sit down you really start to take the place in and notice things. For example the great calibre of American signage on the wall and even some local Melbourne stuff (I’ll leave it to you to list). The staff are really friendly, pretty quick to service and always seem to have a smile on their dial– something that people forget to do these days. I say ‘always’ because I’ve been there three times already and three times my mind was blown. The bun and the pattie were amazing with the right amount of condiments, sauces and flavour. The chips were good (maybe not worth $3), but good either way.”
“This is really up there with the best of them. Not because of any one thing in particular, but more for that warm feeling of awesomeness and sparks that fly that got us into this little thing we call an Adventure. Its a relatively simple burger, but you can tell that there’s been thought put into it. Most important of all was the pattie which was delightfully meaty, well-rounded and salty without making you reach for your 7-Up. This is a bang-on awesome burger with just enough of everything there to make you think about ordering another one, or when to schedule your next visit.”
Fat Bob's Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon

This in my home town! Finally a reason to go visit my mum and dad! *apparently* there is a brothel nearby, did you guys check it out? I’d love to read a review of it if you did!

Honest Steve ( October 1, 2013 at 19:51 )

I think you guys should give extra points to places that make a special effort for the sides. I was just looking at their website, I don’t know how many places I see serving up those exact same chips. And again with the red onion in the burger, I never saw one place in the states serve a burger with red onion in it.

Honest Steve ( October 1, 2013 at 20:00 )

Love the Review guys fat bobs bar and grill is definitely a 10/10 . I love Fat Bobs iv been going to the restaurant since the beginning and made all my friends and family addicted to this local hotspot.
Well done Bob,Deb,Victor and Stevie-lee you guys are doing a fabulous job

Favourite burger: Spartan
Favourite side: Zucchini Chips
Favourite beer: Full Steam Pale Lager

Jesse Burr ( October 2, 2013 at 00:48 )

Great place, great lay out, good food……but $15 for a burger is out of control, if it was larger and mouth watering good maybe…….but its not, its not a bad burger, just not $15 worth IMO.

Tom C ( October 2, 2013 at 13:59 )

Burgers, chips, beer, wine, ice creams sandwiches, great staff! The whole family love the place, even me with my fructose problem, worth every cent. Well done Fat Bob’s Bar & Grill.

Wendy Jarvis ( October 2, 2013 at 21:21 )

What I love about this place is that its NOT trying to be a Happy Days Diner…. it is quite simply a great place to grab a burger, a beer and socialise.

The venue is superb – tucked away in an industrial estate away from the prententiousness of latte sipping hipsters and with parking (yes some of us still like cars) to spare. Inside is simply entertaining, plenty to see, some nostalgia, but its “not try hard retro”. The signs are authentic, they are Aussie and local…love the old Salvo’s sign!

The food, like the signs is also authentic, real burgers with real ingredients and real flavour. If you “like it spicy” then The Hummer is your thing and you cant go past those zucchinni fries ! AWESOME!

The people/staff are friendly, love a chat locals who clealry love what they do. You wont find some “too cool for school barista type” at Fat Bobs… what you will find is a bunch of cool dudes, working hard, pulling beers and building burgers with great big smiles on their faces – which says a lot about the place …clearly they like what they are doing !

The price – I was happy with my $15 burger – so much so I’ve been back 6-7 times. I’d rather pay a couple of bucks extra for quality and everything from the bun to the burger is quality. Better than paying $12 for average !!!

The Verdict – ***** five stars for me…. Fat BoBs is a winner for all ages, families and couples….. get on it – It Rocks…..

Stevo ( October 3, 2013 at 12:22 )

Thank fuck there are no hipsters there. I tell you if I go there and see one fucking hipster I’m walking straight out! goddamn fucking hipsters!

Anonymous ( October 3, 2013 at 22:28 )

Happened to be in the same street for something else today so it was the perfect opportunity to grab a burger for lunch.
Walked in and up to the counter where i was given a menu and taken to a table. After i had chosen my burger (I had a Jackie O also) i sat there for several minutes and watched 4 staff members doing everything but come back to take my order (the place only had a couple of other customers).
After i finally got the attention of one of them i was told i needed to place my order back at the counter. Not a good start.
When the burger arrived i must say i was a little disappointed with the size of it for how much it cost, as Tom C said. It was actually a very good burger however and i think the Fat Bob’s Special Sauce had a lot to do with that, including the bun, but i too think the price was a little bit much.

Robbie ( October 6, 2013 at 23:37 )

Hi Robbie
Thanks so much for your comments regarding not realising that you had to order at the bar. It’s disappointing that you’ve had this experience as our standard MO is to advise all patrons that everything they need to know about food and drink is in the menu they are given when seated and to come to the bar when they’re ready to order. My apologies that this MO wasn’t followed for you.
As a result of exposure on this website and also in The (Melbourne) Magazine at the same time, we have employed extra staff, some of whom are still in training.
We take pride in providing a unique atmosphere and awesome food. As a result of engaging preferred suppliers we have been able to adjust prices for our burgers … most of them have reduced a little in price.
Next time you are in Fat Bob’s, please introduce yourself to either Deb or Stevie-Lee so we can discuss further.

Fat Bob's Bar & Grill ( October 10, 2013 at 08:59 )

Very disappointing experience,. Arrived with two children and four adults. Booking for 6.45 pm. Children starving – order did not arrive uintil 845. Burgers were okay but about the three times the cost of a similar burger from other outlets.
Service shocking. We had not actualy had time to eat the food when unbelievably employee arrived at our table to advise that we should leave because the next lot of customers wer waiting. I have never in my life experienced such bad customer service.

Really, these guys do not deserve to be in business. It is now 9.45 pm and I am still incensed and will certainly spread the word.

hil d - digruntled cusotmer ( October 11, 2013 at 20:44 )

Was back in my home town for a weekend, missing the excellent burgers melbourne provides (down from CBR and whilst Brodburger is good, its quality is a bit variable and I’ve never had one that compared to the ol’ original Mongrel at Strange Wolf or a Raph or a Merrywell), visited for a friday lunch a few weeks back, great experience, excellent service, sweet beers!

Tried the Fat Bob, was delicious but probably had a little too much going on. That’s my fault though.

Recommend to those that didn’t have quite as good an experience to give it another go. I’d definitely stop in again.

Ray ( November 26, 2013 at 11:14 )

I am no longer sure the place you are getting your
information, however great topic. I needs to spend some time studying much more or understanding more.

Thank you for excellent information I was searching for this info for my mission.

Have a look at my webpage: youtube.com

Eleanore ( February 24, 2014 at 13:25 )

Thanks for finally writing about > Fat Bob

Luann ( May 4, 2014 at 20:53 )

Your method of telling all in this article is really pleasant, every one be
capable of easily know it, Thanks a lot.

My blog post :: slim spray reviews

Caitlyn ( May 12, 2014 at 16:01 )

Like Us!
Stay Connected
Legend
From the menu, which one we ordered.
How sloppy and juicy the burger is.
What's the venue like?
For how long were we drowsy after the burger.
Would We Recommend: