Grand Trailer Park Taverna

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
KSA
Smart Casual
16 minutes
If you’re in the area
$13.50
Summary

On the inside, you’re on the outside and when you’re on the outside you’re still outside. Well you’re on a balcony. If that’s not too confusing for you, it basically means that when you head upstairs of what was once a Chinese Restaurant (there’s still remnants on the exterior facade), you’ll come face to face with the park benches and caravan inspired decor of Grand Trailer Park Taverna. It’s run by a one guy who owns a nightclub called Pawn&Co and another who owns a suburban family/burger friendly restaurant, Dandenong Pavillion. Together they’re burger fanatics, churning out 9 or so different burgers along with spiked milkshakes and waffles. This place is a hashtag paradise; rich in both concept and loaded American comfort food that’ll see your Instagram notifications swell as soon as you apply that last filter. Apart from a few classic styles they offer other burgers with mac & cheese inside them, another with beef patties covered in lamb and truffle mayo and then of course a mushroom burger for the lightweights. We took our place at a park bench and wanted to go for an East Coast inspired classic: the KSA that came on a brioche bun with a beef patty, American cheddar, tomato, butter lettuce, special sauce and American mustard.

Comments
“After many recommendations and blogosphere chatter I went to check this place out. We’d quite enjoyed our previous encounter with older brother Dandenong Pavillion, so thought that this would be pretty damn good. But sometimes hype has a way of messing things up. I bit in to my burger expecting all kinds of greatness. But it was a flop. It fell well short of making me fall in love. There was way too much bun on this thing. There was too much mustard too and, not enough ketchup. I liked the patty but it wasn’t amazing. If I were going back I’d try their more simple cheeseburger but make sure there was no mustard to take over the party. All in all I guess I can say it was good. It just wasn’t anything special which was terribly disappointing.”
Grand Trailer Park Taverna on Urbanspoon

I too heard a lot of chatter about this place. HUGE disappointment. Patty was dry and yes, too much bread. I get that not every burger they cook is going to be amazing, but this was very average

McGee ( May 18, 2015 at 22:44 )

Totally agree about too much bun, it was fairly disappointing for me also.

Jake ( May 20, 2015 at 14:19 )

I had my going away lunch there. It was OK. And the chips were way overpriced.

cdg ( May 20, 2015 at 17:32 )

Killer burgers ! Love the set up also

scott ( May 20, 2015 at 21:24 )

100% with you on the bun – we fed this back to the server when they asked if we liked it (with a part eaten top bun left on the plate as we went open sandwich instead) and it was summarily dismissed with a suggestion to try the other buns, on both occasions. Pity.

Niels ( May 21, 2015 at 01:04 )

The same mob who put Laurie Dees number 1, puts down the Taverna? Credibility question here. Too much bun? Get out of here, no different to most burger places. Taverna does a good burger. Have had a few there and last week their Ivan Drago which I thought pretty good.

BigKev ( May 21, 2015 at 18:08 )

Just ate here after reading all the hype on social media! Ugh….. VERY average! Bun way too big, presentation non existent, chips yuk and over priced. Big disappointment I’m afraid.

SW ( June 2, 2015 at 16:18 )

Joint oozes hip cool…the burgers are not that great, way too much sauce which smothers the taste of the patty…an average pricey burger

BA ( June 15, 2015 at 14:46 )

The thing about Burgers is that “you” can pretty much have them served the way you like them. Hold or cut the sauce…(add it yourself) Have it served ‘open’ that way you add what you want on it. Too much bun?? take the top bit off and use your fork and knife. (leave the bun and hopefully they will get your point. Too much mustard? Tell them to ‘hold it’ in Hamburger language that means… don’t add it. YOU can control the type of burger you want to eat.

GH ( July 12, 2015 at 23:38 )

Sure GH, but are you going to stand there for 5 minutes explaining how much of each ingredient you want them to put on (7.5 mLs of mustard please, 4 pinches of salt…). You shouldn’t have to take the bun off if there’s too much bread, that’s the whole point of having set up a burger joint, the owner has put time and thought into crafting what they think is a killer burger.

Anyway, there’s plenty of burger places to suit everyone’s taste in this grand ol city.

McGee ( December 29, 2015 at 10:36 )

Like Us!
Stay Connected
Legend
From the menu, which one we ordered.
How sloppy and juicy the burger is.
What's the venue like?
For how long were we drowsy after the burger.
Would We Recommend: